This was initially done purely by hand and, from 1938, with the help of machines and the chrome tanning process. This reduced the work process, which could take up to two years, to three weeks. In 1995, the last tanner Heinrich Sasse retired and closed the business.
The Förderverein Gerbereimuseum Enger e.V. set up a museum in the old workshop, which provides information about the history of the tannery, leather production, the history of the Sasse business and the importance of the tanning industry for the town of Enger. Although the workshop and the machines are protected, it is still a hands-on exhibition accompanied by a historical soundscape.
Further information can also be found under Sightseeing on the Fahr im Kreis website.
Good to know
Openings
Otherwise the opening hours are as follows:
Saturday: 15:00 to 18:00
Sunday: 11:00 to 18:00
Price info
Directions & Parking facilities
The nearest train station is in Herford. From there, the Soleweg leads in the direction of Enger and reaches the Tannery Museum after approx. 10 km.
Nearby