The relics of Saint Liborius of Le Mans came to the bishop's seat of Paderborn in this year. Thus, the tradition of the Libori festival, for which around 1.7 million visitors come to the Pader every year towards the end of July - some for the ceremonial procession, some because of the huge funfair. And almost all of them for the special combination of the two.
The establishment of the Hanseatic League
Minden was one of the first member cities of the medieval trading network. Also, Nieheim, Paderborn, Bielefeld, Herford, Lemgo, Brakel, Wiedenbrück, Warburg and Höxter were part of it and formed points of attraction for business travellers from all over the world.
Construction of the first bathhouse in the farmer's spa at Holzhaus
Bad Holzhausen wasn't a health spa in the modern sense of the word until 2007. The tradition of the farmer's spa, however, goes back much further and starts with the discovery of the mineral spring in 1713. Health tourism began with the construction of the first bathhouse in 1829.
Oeynhausen becomes a "Royal Spa"
Prussian King Friedrich Wilhelm IV appointed Oeynhausen the "Royal Spa Oeynhausen" and made the city a meeting place for high society. The sophisticated spa architecture and numerous villas from the 19th and early 20th century still testify to this.
Inauguration of the Altenbeken viaduct
The huge bridge over the Beketal is one of the oldest and most impressive railway structures in Germany. With its ceremonial inauguration in 1853, the railway line from Hamm to Warburg was finished almost simultaneously with the Cologne-Minden railway - since then the Teutoburg Forest holiday region is easy reachable by train.
Monument to Kaiser Wilhelm inaugurated
The Weser gorge through the Wiehen Hills is an imposing landmark in itself. Thanks to the Kaiser's statue high over the Porta Westfalica, the region experienced a real tourist boom. Visitors came mostly on the Cologne-Minden railway, which now stopped here seven times daily. The Hotel "Nottmeyer" on the road to Minden, the hotel "Zum Großen Kurfürsten" on the right bank of the Weser, "Hotel Bellevue" in the foothills of the Jakobsberg mountain and the fine "Hotel Kaiserhof", whose hall offers guests 2000 places, all opened shortly afterwards.
The Egge Hills Association promotes tourism
The Egge Hills Association was founded on 11 March 1900 in Altenbeken, in order "to increase and facilitate tourism in the areas of the Egge Hills, in particular through the production of signposts, benches, footpaths, lookouts, shelters, and exploiting springs", according to the declared objectives.
Creation of the "Teutoburg Mountain Association"
After the effects of industrialisation, "improvement associations" were founded in the 19th century in many places to preserve the beauty and special characteristics of their homeland. On 25 June 1902 these clubs joined together at the Spa Hotel in Bad Rothenfelde to become the "Teutoburg Mountain Association", the forerunner of the present-day Teutoburg Forest Association and the marketing organisation "Teutoburg Forest Tourism", a specialist division of OstWestfalenLippe GmbH.
German hiking day
50,000 guests came to Paderborn for the annual meeting of hikers. The organisers of the event, which this time bore the motto "Hiking to Sources", were the Egge Hills Association, who had already proven themselves as hosts for the German Hiking Association in 1981 and 1998.